Carlton Court House
Working Heritage acknowledges that the Carlton Court House played a role in the enforcement of the colonial expansion of Victoria which resulted in the dispossession and alienation of Country from its traditional owners the Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung. It is Working Heritage’s intent to confront this reality and make genuine steps towards reconciliation.
Carlton Court House was built in 1887, and along with the nearby Carlton Police Station, played a significant role in law enforcement and punishment in the growing suburb of Carlton during the 19th Century.
Working Heritage was appointed manager of the property in 2004 and has made crucial restorations and helped improve the site through the addition of an architecturally designed welcoming space that sympathetically complements the original structure.
Carlton Court House is currently home to one of the La Mama Theatre venues and functions as a space for “live theatre, poetry, music and cabaret as well as play readings and children’s performances.”
Visiting the Property
Carlton Court House is regularly open to the public for performances. Please check the La Mama website for details.